In the event of inclement weather, decisions concerning closures or delays are made with the safety of all members of the KVCC Community in mind, and are announced as quickly as possible.
The Decision to Close or Delay
1. The safety of KVCC students and employees is the highest priority when making a weather-related closing or delayed opening decision
2. As long as conditions are safe on College property and on the major roads leading to College facilities, the College will be open, either on a regular or delayed schedule.
3. Decisions to close the College or delay its opening due to current or predicted inclement weather will be made by a designated team of College personnel. These personnel may consult with the following resources to help make this determination:
a. Fairfield Police Department
b. Kennebec and Somerset County Sheriff's Departments
c. The Maine Department of Transportation (DOT)
d. Colleagues at other institutions
e. The Maine Community College System
f. The National Weather Service
4. Please note that area public schools adhere to their own set of emergency weather policies, and no inference as to whether KV will be open or closed should be drawn from another school’s status in this regard.
5. Members of the KVCC Communty are expected to use their best judgement to determine, on an individual basis, whether conditions are safe for driving.
Timing of Closures and Delays
If classes are to be cancelled or delayed, every effort will be made to communicate this information no later than 6:00 a.m. Please note that television and radio stations can sometimes take 15-30 minutes to update their lists.
Decisions to close the College once it is open will be made at least two hours in advance of the actual closing time, whenever possible. The decision to cancel evening classes will be made by 2 p.m.
As soon as the decision to delay or close the college is reached, notification will be announced in the following ways:
1. A notice placed on the KVCC Website
2. An outgoing voice message placed on the College's weather alert line (453-5899)
3. Text message sent to all KV Community members for whom we have a valid cell phone number
4. A notice sent to local television and radio stations
Please note that individual instructors may cancel individual classes. Notice regarding these cancellations will also appear on this page.
Listed below are the radio and TV stations in the area who will announce school and activities cancellations: