~ Medical Coding Certificate~
This certificate has been designed for individuals currently working in the health care field who need to upgrade their coding skills for advancement or certification. ICD-9-CM and CPT coding concepts and guidelines are taught, including computer applications, legal and ethical issues related to coding, and data management skills. All applicants must supply a letter from their employer supporting the need for these courses or a letter describing how this certificate will assist them in their current job. All applications must be approved by the Program Director of the Health Information Technology program. The program is also fully integrated into the Associate of Applied Science degree in Health Information Technology for those students who wish to continue their studies.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Coding certificate the graduate is expected to:
- Demonstrate entry level skills in coding with ICD-9-CM and CPT.
- Describe the relationship between coding and reimbursement in health care.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors in the work place including patient confidentiality and professional ethics.
- Demonstrate clear and effective communication skills, critical thinking, and problem solving within their scope of practice.
- Participate in activities that foster professional growth and continued competence.
This is a high-demand occupation for which recruitment bonuses are often offered. Medical Coding remains one of the fastest growing professions in today’s allied health fields. The work performed by these professionals requires attention to detail, organization, patient confidentiality, and good communication skills. Employment opportunities are available in hospitals, physicians’ offices, outpatient facilities, and other facilities such as home health and long term care.
Criteria For Graduation
Students must complete 34 credits in the Medical Coding Certificate Program, achieve a minimum grade of "C" in all courses, and attain a final GPA of 2.0 or higher. Pre-requisite: Biology Lab.